Blog / Countdown to Les Savy Fav this Saturday July 12th at 8PM sharp

By Julie Thomson

One of the first bands I heard about when I moved to Durham last July was Les Savy Fav, since Harrison Haynes, the drummer, lives in Durham. With the release last year of their long-anticipated album “Let’s Stay Friends,” impressive reviews also popped up everywhere from Pitchfork (whose stingy reviewers gave it a very admirable 8.3!), All Music Guide and Rolling Stone and the album topped many of my friends’ best-of lists for 2007. This Saturday I look forward to seeing if some of my favorite tracks from “Let’s Stay Friends” (“Pots and Pans,” “The Equestrian,” “Patty Lee” and “Comes and Goes”) are part of the set list and, if they are, how they translate live.

This Saturday’s concert marks the band’s first show in the Triangle in four years. We’re lucky they are coming to our backyard this summer, since to see them otherwise one would have to travel further afield – to Norway, Seattle, Vancouver, Chicago or London.

During the planning for this concert at the Nasher Museum I learned that the band had previously performed at one of MoMA’s Poprally events. Performing at an art museum seems fitting since Les Savy Fav’s band members met in art school at the Rhode Island School of Design (where the band members of the Talking Heads also met). Their performance at MoMA offered unique terrain for collaboration, resulting in a multi-layered event including a project with (CLL) PHN LCKN. Video of the event hints at the band’s energetic live performances and the crowds that filled MoMA that night.

From what I’ve seen and heard Les Savy Fav is best experienced live. While they just released their first live album “Les Savy Fav: After the Balls Drop,” from their January 1 show at the Bowery Ballroom, it is exciting to think we won’t know exactly what will happen this Saturday during Les Savy Fav POST PUNK until the show’s over. The Nasher Museum’s concert will be Les Savy Fav’s second performance at an art museum. I know I’m not missing the chance to see them firsthand this Saturday, July 12! For ticket info visit Duke Performances.

Area 919: Stacey L. Kirby

Stacey L. Kirby found a lot of inspiration right here in North Carolina for her 2014 work, Power oMORE

Area 919: Harrison Haynes

Area 919: Stacy Lynn Waddell