Blog / Awesome, in the non-teenager way

By Sarah Schroth, Nancy Hanks Senior Curator at the Nasher Museum

It is amazing to me how many people have called or written to express wonder and appreciation for “El Greco to Velázquez.”

“The gold walls make the pictures pop” is a frequent comment, and “It feels like I am in Europe” another. It truly does feel as if you are in another place, because the quality of the paintings and sculpture is so amazing, and the museums that loaned works are so prominent. But something else is going on, too. Bringing these particular 50 works together has created a little world that cannot help but bring you back to the beginning of the 17th century and bring you closer to these artistic figures whose names you are hearing (perhaps) for the first time.

Someone said that it is the most emotional show she has ever seen, which means she really got it, really felt the spirit of the artists and their patrons!

A museum director wrote to me, “The show is stunning and executed at top form. … We are proud of the Nasher for bringing these pictures into our lives.”

Executed in top form means that our installation crew did a very professional job that looks as good as any museum anywhere―really! I have personally seen at least three people cry when they walked into the gallery, especially those who have heard me talk about this show for decades!  I love this one: “It is truly awesome, in the best, non-teenager sort of way, and I look forward to showing it off to my friends.”

Another kind soul wrote, “You brought all these Spanish paintings to life once again.”   Others have said “breathtaking” or “wondrous” or  “fabulous” or “we were blown away,” and “Brava! What a treat!”  I hope everyone can take advantage of having such marvelous pictures, right here in Durham!

Miro through young eyes