Blog / Creepy Baby Face

By Christine Smith, Nasher Museum Intern

Last Friday, I braved the crowd and took advantage of FREE DAY at the Nasher Museum. I mean $5 isn’t going to break the bank, but I, like most other college students, am immediately drawn to anything with the word FREE attached to it. Free food, free t-shirts, and now Duke even offers free art!

While walking around the exhibit with a couple of my friends, I came upon Jusepe de Ribera’s Saints Peter and Paul.  Like any good art appreciator, I stopped in front of it, stared at it for a while and read the blurb printed in the exhibit bulletin.  As I turned to walk away, the security guard positioned next to the painting walked up to my friends and I and, in an excited tone, asked if we had noticed the baby head.  My initial response was “Baby head? What baby head? This is a picture of two saints. Obviously this man is crazy!” After he pointed out the face in the scroll held between the two saints and I came to grips with the fact that this security guard apparently knows more about art than I do, my friends and I began to debate the reason for its existence.

Why is it there? Why is it upside down? What does it mean? Is it symbolic? Is it a watermark? Perhaps it’s really a hologram and if the Nasher would only let us turn the picture, we would see the face change into something else! To me, it looks like Casper the Friendly Ghost is just hanging out in the middle of the image. Doubtful, but really, what does it mean?

Area 919: Stacey L. Kirby

Stacey L. Kirby found a lot of inspiration right here in North Carolina for her 2014 work, Power oMORE

Area 919: Harrison Haynes

Area 919: Stacy Lynn Waddell