Blog / Light in the Piazza

By Juline Chevalier

Sometimes I forget how beautiful the Nasher’s architecture is.  Then, I walk into the M.D.B.T. Semans Great Hall on a morning like today and I remind myself how lucky I am to work in this place.

The light changes throughout the day and causes the sculpture in the Great Hall evolve with it.  The shadow cast by this Julio Gonzalez sculpture is such a beautiful echo of the work itself and the Nasher’s glass and steel “ceiling.”  While the architecture may create some challenging acoustics (speaking of echoes), I do enjoy being able to sit in my office with the door open and hear the hustle and bustle of visitors in the museum.  It’s great to know that people are visiting and enjoying their time here.

Picture caption:
Julio González
Spanish, 1876-1942
Woman with a Mirror (Femme au miroir), ca. 1936-37 (cast ca. 1980)
Bronze
Raymond and Patsy Nasher Collection, Dallas, Texas

Area 919: Stacey L. Kirby

Stacey L. Kirby found a lot of inspiration right here in North Carolina for her 2014 work, Power oMORE

Area 919: Harrison Haynes

Area 919: Stacy Lynn Waddell