Blog / Everyone is an artist, even bears.

by Juline Chevalier

Complete this sentence:
Everyone is a(n) _______________ .When we asked visitors to fill in the blank at the Nasher on Sunday, Jan. 18, during Family Day, we got some great answers.  Some examples:

Everyone is a musician.
E
veryone is a teacher.
Everyone is a dancer (in training.)
Everyone is a part of earth.
Everyone is a star.
Everyone is a learner.
Everyone is a friend.
Everyone is a builder.
Everyone is a human.

and, of course,
Everyone is an artist, even bears.

We used the statement “Everyone an artist.” from artist Joseph Beuys as the jumping off point.  This idea serves as a backdrop for the current exhibition Escultura Social: A New Generation of Art from Mexico City.

Of course, some great drawings accompanied the word art, and I must admit that I have a favorite. 

The illustrations to accompany “Everyone is a musician” are superb, and I can’t help but smile when I think of artist bears.

Check out our next Family Day on Sunday, March 22, 2009, 12-4PM.

4 Responses to “Everyone is an artist, even bears.”

1. Jay Jordan

Interesting that dancers have to have training, yet presumably unqualified bears get to be artists.

2. troy

J,

This is a wonderful post and a beautiful, innovative idea. Bravo. I was actually made aware of it by my friend Nina Simon (Museum2.0) who referenced it in her twitter stream!

T.