Blog / Rural Studios

by Jerstin Crosby

I recently discovered a cache of old 4×6 photos from a trip with my brother Jeremy to visit the beautiful recycled homes of Rural Studios, in Hale County , Alabama.  It was probably about five years ago, but I thought I would share them because not a lot of people make it down (but some come from all over) to rural Alabama to see what the late Samuel Mockbee began through his architecture program at Auburn University.  I have always been fascinated by these buildings ever since I was an undergraduate at the University of Alabama, and was lucky enough to get a studio visit from Mockbee only months before his untimely death.  Most of these pictures are of homes built from recycled carpet scraps, compressed cardboard, hay bales, and other found and re-imagined materials.  The program took place hours from Auburn University in the most impovershed county in the state of Alabama.  I hope you enjoy these oldies from my vault!!!

The Craft of Being an Intern

Posted By Erin Stidham

MLK Anniversary