Blog / Wii Love Arts.

“Wii Love Arts.” By Michael Schmidt & Christian Hermann; Published by Kehrer Verlag

Review by Renee M. Cagnina Haynes, Curatorial Assistant

wii_1_0Last week, my husband and I went to a Nasher member event to listen to Trevor Schoonmaker, Curator of Contemporary Art at the Nasher, give an in depth tour of the exhibition “Escultura Social: A New Generation of Art from Mexico City.”  After the tour, which I would say is the best way to see the exhibition, I noticed a book in the Nasher Museum store.  The book was called “Wii Love Arts.”  The Nasher Store was closed at the time, therefore I perused the book section while I waited for my yummy Nasher Café lunch the following day (yes, I know, there’s a lot of product placement in this review, but hey “24” and “Friday Night Lights” do it. Why can’t I?). 

To make what would seem to be (at this point) a long story short, the book was not what I had hoped for it to be.  I was expecting the book to cover artists manipulating Nintendo’s gaming console, Wii, to create interactive artwork, but sadly this was not the case.  It did, however, feature artists who were inspired by Wii. 

One of my favorite entries, which doesn’t necessarily connect to Wii directly, was an interview with Jurgen Leppert (click here to see him in action).  This cute little old guy spins or “whirls” to music.  He started this venture in the 70s, and has since become a music festival anomaly. They even make note that Jurgen can reach spinning speeds of up to 2 spins per second!

I won’t drag on, but the next time you’re in the Nasher Museum of Art stop by the museum store and check out this book.  I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a great reference book, but it’s definitely one of those conversation starter coffee table books like “Bad Hair” by James Innes-Smith and Henrietta Webb.

Enjoy!