Blog / 3 Things: Kara Walker

CCLose.KaraWalker.07

Introducing 3 Things, where every now and then we’ll ask an artist who has worked with the Nasher Museum to tell us three things they’re listening to, working on, looking at, reading, or just thinking about.

Kara Walker is an artist based in New York, well known for her films, installations and works on paper that use cut-out silhouettes to explore the complex intersections of race and history.  Walker’s print portfolio, Harper’s Pictorial History of the Civil War (Annotated) (2005), which was produced by Columbia University’s venerable Neiman Center for Print Studies, is in the Nasher’s permanent collection.  Her upcoming exhibition, a two-person show with LA based artist Mark Bradford, opens in New York at Sikkema Jenkins & Co. this Thursday, September 10, on view through October 17.  For more info on Kara and the show, visit the gallery’s website.

kw_09
  1. DVD Viewing: Charles Burnett - Killer of Sheep (but really, as of last night, watching Tropic Thunder which was really great)
  2. Reading: Italo Calvino - Invisible Cities (which I should have read long ago, but am so happy to have gotten around to it)
  3. Listening: Laurie Anderson - Mister Heartbreak (having a mid-eighties moment happily recalling my new wave-art rock youthful yearning)

Images:
Kara Walker (2007), Photograph © Chuck Close
Kara Walker, Alabama Loyalists Greeting the Federal Gun-Boats from Harper’s Pictorial History of the Civil War (Annotated) (2005), courtesy the artist and Sikkema Jenkins & Co., NY

2 Responses to “3 Things: Kara Walker”

1. Kara Walker

Hi, I am back. Really wanted to see Robert Downey Jr.’s portrayal of an Australian actor portraying a Black American soldier. Funny, ludicrous and in no way constructive/ nor especially destructive.

Invisible Cities has been haunting my dreams ever since I finished. New cities keep proposing themselves, I find myself traveling new routes around the same internal terrain.

I was sitting on a Blue Lagoon, called “Lagun” on the island of Curacao, and could not stop replaying the song/story of the same title. Had to wait until I got home to listen to Ms. Anderson’s perfect postcard.

2. Teka

Kara – I have been trying to read “Invisible Cities” for two years, now – but your post has re-inspired me to try again…

I agree about Tropic Thunder – pure entertainment. I was so afraid to see it – I avoided it when it was in the theater like the plague and was surprised at how much I laughed when I finally saw it. But what’s fascinating is that his portrayal is possible now – revealing in and of itself.