Blog / Spontaneous listening party

Satch Hoyt: photographed by J.Caldwell

Satch Hoyt: photographed by J.Caldwell

by David

I headed down to Liberty Arts last week to check out artist Satch Hoyt’s ‘Celestial Vessel’ and interview him for an upcoming Nasher video and must say, I am getting more and more excited for ‘The Record’.

Like many of the artists in ‘The Record’ Satch is an accomplished musician. He’s been playing music pretty much all of his life.  Naturally that was one of the first things I wanted to talk to him about so I asked him about his band Burnt Sugar the Arkestra Chamber.

Satch plays flute and percussion with the band that describes itself as:

…a territory band, a neo-tribal thang, a community hang, a society music guild aspiring to the condition of all that is molten, glacial, racial, spacial, oceanic, mythic, antiphonal and telepathic.

Burnt Sugar has 22 current members playing a range of instruments and styles (acoustic bass, trombone, sax, trumpet, guitars and laptops among other things) and deploys Butch Morris’s conduction system to make every performance a fresh interpretation of its constituent parts.  It’s a bit hard to classify so I’ll let you check it out for yourself via the link above.

When I asked him about his solo project he suggested we just go ahead and listen to it in my car rather than describe it.  So, we hopped in the car with musician and artist David Mcconnell (also in the Record) and sampled some of Satch’s new songs.  Here’s a couple for you to check out: