We are all still talking about last week’s visit with L.A.-based artist Dave Muller. As part of his talk, the annual Barbra and Andrew Rothschild lecture, he performed his Top 11 records, on two turntables, for about 20 minutes. You’ll not easily find these tracks on iTunes or even in a nearby record bin.
He has shared this very special playlist, below, with a link to the music. Thank you, Dave!
1) Mandoline Oiseau Chantant – Toreador Song, from Carmen (by Bizet), from Wound-Up Opera Played by Rare Antique Music Boxes (Ford Collection)
2) James Tenney- – Spectral CANON for CONLON Nancarrow, From Code Blue
3) This Heat – 24 Track Loop, from This Heat
4) Herbert Eimert – Epitaph für Aikichi Kuboyama, from S/T
5) The Beatles – Because, from Anthology 3/ The Beatles – Because, from Anthology 3
6) Mongombi Tribe – Hunting Calls, from Empire Centrafricain: Anthologie de la Musique des Pygmées Aka
7) Fiends – Ramblin’ Rose, from We’ve Come for Your Beer
8) The Remains – Don’t Look Back, from Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era (1965-1968)
9) Led Zeppelin- – When the Levee Breaks, from Led Zeppelin IV (Zoso)
10) Oscar the Grouch – I Love Trash, from the Sesame Street Book and Record
11) Noah Creshevsky – Great Performances, from Opus One Number 47, Hubert S. Howe, Jr./Noah Creshevsky
IMAGE: Dave Muller played some of his favorite records at Motorco. Photo by Dr. J Caldwell.
Dave Muller, “Dave’s Top Eleven
(Week of 12/01/08: ToreadorCanonLoopEpitaphBecauseBecauseMongambiRoseBackLeveeTrashPerformances),” 2008, acrylic on paper, 86 1/2″ x 38 1/2″ framed.