Blog / Piotr Orlov, you are the man!

piotr-dj

By Trevor

Piotr Orlov has been there from the beginning.  He’s a long-time friend, trusted colleague and music junky extraordinaire. For my first major exhibition in 2003, Black President: The Art and Legacy of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti at the New Museum of Contemporary Art, he and I co-organized the music program.  I’m a music lover, but his expertise was just what the project needed. Then in 2006 he organized the music program for the exhibition The Beautiful Game: Contemporary Art and Fútbol, which I co-curated with Franklin Sirmans.  And for The Record: Contemporary Art and Vinyl Piotr wrote a wonderful essay and helped shape the catalogue and website with his insightful guidance. I know he is the unsung collaborator behind many a great creative project. I’m just not sure how he finds the time as Brooklyn-based critic, curator, events producer, DJ and founder of the monthly dance-party Treehouse–and new dad.

It was a blast celebrating with Piotr in person at the opening of The Record where he spun his favorite vinyl. Piotr’s Record essay lives on in the new issue of the e-zine Shelf Unbound.  Check it out.  Thanks, Piotr.  You are the man!
piotr-trevor
piotr-essay

IMAGES: Piotr Orlov (top) spins records at the opening of The Record. Piotr (left) celebrates with (from left) Trevor Schoonmaker and artists Barkley L. Hendricks and Harrison Haynes. Photos by Dr. J Caldwell.

Area 919: Stacey L. Kirby

Stacey L. Kirby found a lot of inspiration right here in North Carolina for her 2014 work, Power oMORE

Area 919: Harrison Haynes

Area 919: Stacy Lynn Waddell