Blog / Piotr Orlov, you are the man!

piotr-dj

By Trevor

Piotr Orlov has been there from the beginning.  He’s a long-time friend, trusted colleague and music junky extraordinaire. For my first major exhibition in 2003, Black President: The Art and Legacy of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti at the New Museum of Contemporary Art, he and I co-organized the music program.  I’m a music lover, but his expertise was just what the project needed. Then in 2006 he organized the music program for the exhibition The Beautiful Game: Contemporary Art and Fútbol, which I co-curated with Franklin Sirmans.  And for The Record: Contemporary Art and Vinyl Piotr wrote a wonderful essay and helped shape the catalogue and website with his insightful guidance. I know he is the unsung collaborator behind many a great creative project. I’m just not sure how he finds the time as Brooklyn-based critic, curator, events producer, DJ and founder of the monthly dance-party Treehouse–and new dad.

It was a blast celebrating with Piotr in person at the opening of The Record where he spun his favorite vinyl. Piotr’s Record essay lives on in the new issue of the e-zine Shelf Unbound.  Check it out.  Thanks, Piotr.  You are the man!
piotr-trevor
piotr-essay

IMAGES: Piotr Orlov (top) spins records at the opening of The Record. Piotr (left) celebrates with (from left) Trevor Schoonmaker and artists Barkley L. Hendricks and Harrison Haynes. Photos by Dr. J Caldwell.

Visitor, Not Visitor

Posted By Mika Deshmukh

Get Right With God

Posted By Allie Kenny

Above the Colonel

Posted By Allie Kenny

Following is an excerpt from the recent free public talk, “Southern Food as Cultural Fount: A MORE