Blog / Xaviera Simmons: Music inspires art

xaviera-studio-tracks
By Wendy

An artist’s studio is a mysterious and fascinating place. We all want to be invited in. Any glimpse into that studio is irresistible.

So it’s easy to love Studio Tracks, a series by artinfo.com that features a brief interview with a visual artist and a list of songs playing in that artist’s studio. This week’s Studio Tracks features Xaviera Simmons, who shares her favorite songs by Neil Young, TV on the Radio, Rain Machine, Stevie Wonder and more. Goodie!

Xaviera tells Artinfo: “Mostly I love silence when I’m in the studio and then after silence I listen to Buddhist podcasts and lectures — like Robert Thurman’s or Pema Chodron’s. I love Katt Williams’s comedy DVDs in the background too. Music often comes after I’ve worked all day in the studio and want to enter a different mood. But sometimes, some of the following tracks creep in during the work day. …”

Xaviera visited the Nasher Museum last fall as part of a weeklong artist residency (watch a short video documentary about her residency.) Her work is part of “Building the Contemporary Collection: Five Years of Acquisitions,” on view through summer, and also our traveling exhibition “The Record: Contemporary Art and Vinyl” (now on view at the Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston). Xaviera’s current show, “Wilderness,” is on view at Nicole Klagsbrun Gallery in New York through May 28.

IMAGE: Xaviera Simmons. Courtesy of the artist.

The Craft of Being an Intern

Posted By Erin Stidham

MLK Anniversary