Blog / Farewell, Courtney Shives

courtney-shives
By David

Courtney Shives and I were Duke basketball buddies. If there was a Duke home game, I could count on seeing him at the Nasher Museum, either the day of the game or the following day without fail. He and I took a Duke Continuing Education course together four years ago called, simply enough, “Basketball!” — so we had a lot to chat about each time we saw each other.  Courtney was tremendously enthusiastic about the Nasher Museum.  Wherever he has gone in death, I know that he’ll still be in attendance in spirit for every Duke basketball game in Cameron Indoor Stadium, and at every exhibition opening at the Nasher.  He was a friend and I will miss him dearly.

Courtney Shives, Jr., a longtime friend of the Nasher Museum, died on April 27, 2011, in Greenville, S.C. He was 68. Read more about his life in The Greenville News.

David Eck is manager of visitor services at the Nasher Museum.

IMAGE: Photo of Courtney Shives by Duke University Photography

Area 919: Bill Thelen

Chicago Native

Posted by Nicole Rudden

Area 919: Stacey L. Kirby

Stacey L. Kirby found a lot of inspiration right here in North Carolina for her 2014 work, Power oMORE