It’s raining in Miami. But the sun is coming out tomorrow, just in time for the tenth edition of Art Basel Miami Beach.
The Nasher Museum contingent is headed down there, stocked up with the ABMB iPhone app, VIP cards and exclusive invitations and a rather ambitious to-do list.
We are going for the art. Really.
Funny, but our must-see list does not exactly coincide with “Where to Party at Art Basel Miami Beach,” in yesterday’s NYT Fashion & Style section, which elaborates on “10 places to party, shop, dine, view art and party more.” We’ll be cutting through the glitter and dollar signs to see fantastic contemporary art.
Here are a few destinations on the list compiled by Trevor Schoonmaker, Patsy R. and Raymond D. Nasher Curator of Contemporary Art, and Kimerly Rorschach, Mary D.B.T. and James H. Semans Director:
1. Faith Ringgold exhibition at Miami Art Museum (101 West Flagler Street, Miami). The Nasher Museum’s exhibition, “The Record: Contemporary Art and Vinyl,” opens there on March 18, 2012.
3. Ruben Ochoa exhibition at Locust Projects (155 NE 38th St., Suite 100, Miami.
4. World Class Boxing (170 NW 23rd St., Miami)
5. Mark Handforth exhibition at Museum of Contemporary Art (770 NE 125th St., North Miami)
6. William Cordova’s napkin drawings at Luna Star Café (775 NE 125th St., North Miami, across street from MOCA)
7. Clifford Owens at Gallery Diet (174 NW 23 St., Miami)
Can’t make it to Art Basel Miami Beach this year? We’ll be your eyes and ears. All week, you can find Trevor and Kim’s insights on this blog, and also Twitter (NasherGirl and NasherMuseum), YouTube, Facebook and Flickr.com.