Blog / Our heroes

By Wendy

Congratulations to Fahamu Pecou, whose spectacular painting (above), “Nunna My Heros: After Barkley Hendricks’ Icon for My Man Superman 1969,” is being acquired for the Nasher Museum’s permanent collection.

Barkley is Fahamu’s hero. Barkley and Fahamu are our heroes. Superman is not everyone’s hero.

The painting is now on view in the group exhibition “Configured,” curated by Teka Selman at Benrimon Contemporary gallery in Chelsea, through April 14. Fans of Barkley L. Hendricks will remember the painting (below) that inspired Fahamu’s work. Barkley’s work, “Icon for My Man Superman (Superman never saved any black people— Bobby Seale),” was part of his huge solo exhibition here at the Nasher Museum in 2008.

IMAGES: (TOP) Fahamu Pecou, “Nunna My Heros: After Barkley Hendricks’ Icon for My Man Superman 1969,” 2011. Acrylic, gold leaf, oil stick on canvas; 63 x 49.5 inches. Collection of the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University. Gift of Marjorie and Michael Levine, T’84, P’16, P’19, P’19.

(ABOVE) Barkley L. Hendricks, “Icon for My Man Superman (Superman never saved any black people— Bobby Seale),” 1969. Oil , acrylic and aluminum leaf on linen canvas, 59 ½ x 48 inches. Private collection. Courtesy of the artist and Jack Shainman Gallery, NY.

Visitor, Not Visitor

Posted By Mika Deshmukh

Get Right With God

Posted By Allie Kenny

Above the Colonel

Posted By Allie Kenny

Following is an excerpt from the recent free public talk, “Southern Food as Cultural Fount: A MORE