Blog / Carolina Gypsy finds her balance

By Wendy

We were tickled to read about Carolina Gypsy’s inspired Calder-esque tower last night at Fullsteam, at our “Balance and Beer” event.

She writes: “I couldn’t even face it.  I considered just eating the marshmallows, and then throwing the spaghetti at all the successful people around me, and having another beer.  Veronica, who has never for one minute hesitated to dive into a task with confidence in all the years I’ve known her, started assembling a tripod and bam, like that, went vertical with the marshmallows and spaghetti.  I couldn’t resist.  I love to make things.  So I marshmallowed.  I towered.  I considered what Calder would have done: He would have started by balancing the tiniest, most delicate parts first, and then moved outward. I spent too long just figuring out how to support the big marshmallow, before I even figured out what my tower would have to be.  While my sculpture was still an inch tall, I glanced over to a table full of the aforementioned successful people across the bar, with a two-foot high marshmallow cathedral.  It was gorgeous.”

Read the rest of Carolina Gypsy’s blog post.

IMAGE: Courtesy of Carolina Gypsy.

AREA 919: GEORGE JENNE

Duke vs UNC – #ArtBattle

Posted by Nasher Museum, Ackland Art Museum and the Twittersphere

AREA 919: JEFF BELL