Blog / It’s Not Goodbye, It’s See You Later

By Caroline

This past year I have spent a lot of time at the Nasher Museum.  I am a senior graduating in May and I am starting to come to terms with the fact that I won’t be going to the Nasher Museum four days a week anymore.  I wanted to take some time to reflect on my experiences and give some advice to those who still have time to take advantage of all the museum has to offer.  There are many things I learned this year about the museum, the programs and events it sponsors, and the opportunities it provides that I wish I had known before.

If you appreciate a creative atmosphere and you like food, specifically the food at the Nasher Museum Café, you should consider becoming a member of the museum at the student level.  One of the benefits of this membership is 10% off at the café and the Nasher Museum Store. Chances are that if you are familiar with the café, you have gone more than once and will continue to go, making this benefit worthwhile for its $20 price tag.  Another benefit is free tickets during ticketed exhibitions, as well as yearly information about exhibitions and upcoming events.

Some of the programs available to students interested in art, art history or museums are the Museum Internship, Gallery Guides, and the Nasher Student Advisory Board.  The Museum Internship is a great way to gain museum experience while learning the ins and outs of the Nasher Museum.  This internship counts for class credit and is a great way to begin networking in the art world.  Gallery Guides lead museum tours through the current exhibitions to K-12 students, adult groups and the general public.   Gallery Guides get special access to exhibitions and a chance to interact with children and adults, a change in pace from your average Duke student.  The Nasher Student Advisory Board plans and host events throughout the year at the Nasher Museum with the goal of engaging the Duke student community with the arts.

I urge anyone interested in the arts to take the time to explore the options available before it’s too late.  Although I have not been able to take advantage of all of these opportunities, my time at the museum has made my Duke experience.  I am positive that the Nasher Museum will be one of the first places I visit when I come back to Duke, so as they say, it’s not goodbye, it’s see you later.

To learn more about student opportunities at the Nasher, visit the  student page .

Google Hangouts

Posted by Juline Chevalier

#BOBSAYS

Football and Art

Posted By Steven Neal