Blog / My Internship at the Nasher Museum

by Kate Esbenshade

My internship search began in early December. A Fine Arts major at Southern Methodist University, I looked for an opportunity that would immerse me in the art world and teach me a wide range of skills. I have always been interested in an art environment that also catered to my interest in business. The Nasher Museum of Art was the best fit providing me with a business atmosphere and access to world-class exhibitions. I sent in my resume, which was followed by a phone interview. We discussed my desire to try a little bit of everything and my passion for educating others about art. The interview was a valuable experience and I was happy when I was extended an internship position for the summer. The Nasher Museum allowed me the opportunity to experience many museum departments: development, education and curatorial.

I was nervous my first day of work, but the staff at the Nasher Museum made me feel right at home. I began working in the development department where I learned everything from fundraising and membership to marketing and special events. I authored four Nasher Museum blog posts and became acquainted with the software Raiser’s Edge. Assisting K-12 group tours was an enriching experience and enabled me to interact with students from Durham public schools. Curatorial meetings allowed me to better understand the preparation needed to hold exhibitions, scheduled years in advance. The list of experiences is endless. The Nasher Museum of Art involved me in every aspect of the museum providing me with a breadth of knowledge.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to work with the wonderful staff at the Nasher Museum, and am confident going into my senior year at Southern Methodist University with a better understanding of what I want to do after graduation.

#nasherbookchat

Have you met Peter Tukei at our information desk?
He will tell you anything you need to know!