Blog / The Importance of Public Space: The Terrace Alcove

By Kate Esbenshade

Sitting on the porch of The Terrace Alcove, I enjoy the sun on my back. I look through the window and see a hub of activity. A group of students listen to museum educators explain Jason Middlebrook’s piece Vein, while patrons browse at the museum store, and have lunch at the museum cafe. I had walked outside to make a phone call, but decide to stay for a few minutes of quiet. I have often experienced this relaxation before, in parks or the library. A feeling of peace comes over me as I explore my surroundings. Birds chirp and the breeze brushes the leaves of the bamboo. I close my eyes and my mind wanders to an image I saw earlier in the museum of Romare Bearden’s work titled “The Family”. The palette contained a mixture of warm and cool colors giving the piece depth. I am brought back to reality as my phone rings.

I contemplate the purpose of public space and conclude that they provide a moment to reflect and gain insight. A time of meditation or self-reflection is important in our daily lives, which are often fraught with the oft-irksome responsibilities of work and home. We need a moment to ourselves. You can do this in a public space like the Terrace Alcove at the Nasher Museum that serves as a sanctuary away from daily bustle.

When you next visit the Nasher Museum, stop by The Terrace Alcove. It is open during regular hours at the museum and offers a variety of activities for visitors. People can use the interactive station, sit down and read a book on the patio, meet with friends, or search the web.

#nasherbookchat

Have you met Peter Tukei at our information desk?
He will tell you anything you need to know!