Blog / The human position

Posted by Sarah Soltis

My involvement with the Nasher Museum began this past summer, and I must say it has been an incredibly rewarding experience. It all started when I was a summer curatorial department intern, and I had such a great time that I came back to intern for another semester.

Most of my work at the Nasher focused on preparing for the upcoming exhibition The Human Position: Old Master Works from the Collection. As a curatorial department intern I was exposed to the behind-the-scenes aspects of exhibition production. I not only conducted research on artists and works of art, but also got to write several exhibition labels. Being involved in this process was extremely exciting and allowed me to take many trips down to object storage, where all of the museum’s works that are not on display are kept. It was amazing to see so many different and unrelated objects together in a few rooms; this experience instilled me with a different mindset of, and appreciation for, art.

I could not be more excited about this upcoming exhibition, and not just because I was involved in the process. The Human Position will contain works from the Nasher Museum’s permanent collection that have not been recently displayed and will also bring together pieces that at first appear drastically different but actually have common themes and elements. Moreover, this exhibition will feature works by “Old Masters” such as Albrecht Dürer and François Gérard.

Working as a Nasher Museum intern also exposed me to the installation process involved with exhibitions. I was afforded the chance to participate in the installation of  Wangechi Mutu: A Fantastic Journey. This was a rare opportunity, and one that proved fascinating and enlightening.

The internship class not only provided me with wonderful hands-on experiences, but also offered great advice. The weekly meetings composed of interns and staff members taught me so much about the different opportunities and paths available. These helpful sessions provided me with the chance to ask questions and get direction for my future after college.

While I am sad my time at the Nasher Museum is coming to a close for this semester, I am positive I will be back next year. The knowledge and experience the Nasher Museum has instilled in me will undoubtedly prove useful for years to come. The internship opportunities were rewarding and enjoyable, and my time at the Nasher Museum taught me that the possibilities are endless and there are many different paths one can take, each of which is exciting and rewarding in its own way.

Image: Francois Gerard, French, Clytemnestra Receiving the News of Iphigenia’s Impending Sacrifice, 1787. Oil on canvas, 30 1/2 x 38 1/4 inches (77.5 x 97.2 cm). Collection of the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University, Durham, NC, USA. Museum purchase, 2002.31.1. Photo by Peter Paul Geoffrion.

The Craft of Being an Intern

Posted By Erin Stidham

MLK Anniversary