Blog / Work of the Week: Encore (Paradise Omeros: Redux) by Isaac Julien

Posted by Dwayna Clark

Isaac Julien, Encore (Paradise Omeros: Redux) (still) from the suite Point of View: An Anthology of the Moving Image, 2003. Video (color, sound); 4:38 minute loop. Collection of the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University, Durham, NC. Museum purchase, 2005.5.7. ©Isaac Julien. Courtesy of the artist and Metro Pictures, New York.

As I placed the headphones on to watch Encore by Isaac Julien, I heard sounds of the ocean. Wooosshh! Woooossshhh! The images in the film were breathtaking. Envisioning these images made me want to go to St. Lucia for a vacation to explore the beautiful horizons. The man told a story in the film with his thick heavy accent, as a musician played a piano in the background. I got the sense that he was lost in a world which was unfamiliar to him. He emphasized that “his shadow detached himself” as if his soul and body were in two different places or as if he was trying to find his identity. Overall I give the film two thumbs up!