Blog / The value of engagement with art

Posted by Nasher Museum student intern Mary Catherine Robertson

Photo by J Caldwell

Spending this semester interning in the Education Department, I expected to enjoy the opportunity to help with programs to get museum-goers of all ages more plugged into fun and learning at the Nasher Museum. I hadn’t particularly counted on having an absolute blast doing it! Each day was filled with fresh excitement as we prepared craft supplies for school tours, planned activities for upcoming family days and searched for novels for new book discussions. I was even more surprised to realize how much I desperately wanted to be a kid attending Family Day. I love art history and I’ve been fortunate to take classes that have helped me understand artwork as a tool for studying history and culture. I’ve also spent enough time at museums to understand the value of engagement with art, even without extensive historical context. Preparing for Nasher Museum Free Family Days and working with kids on the actual days reminded me just how cool it is to visit a museum and be nearly overwhelmed with dozens of new and thought-provoking things. Better yet, family days include crafts! Weaving, drawing, painting- the education department thinks about all the options and no one is afraid to get their hands dirty. It became a joke among some of the students and volunteers in the education department that all the craft projects looked so fun that we wanted to do them ourselves- kids or not! Family days are an opportunity to get children and parents alike hooked on the fun that can be had at the museum. Hopefully we provide enough structure and facts that young visitors learn a bit more about art, culture, or history. Even if they don’t, Family Day activities are fun and memorable, maybe encouraging kids to want to visit again and again and again. I interned at the Nasher Museum because I love art but, even more than that, I love watching kids get intrigued by new things. Visiting the Nasher Museum creates so many opportunities for learning and fun and I wanted to be around to see kids experience that.

Google Hangouts

Posted by Juline Chevalier

#BOBSAYS