Blog / From open to close

Posted by Asif Rahman

Sound Vision

This semester, I had the wonderful opportunity to intern in the Curatorial and Academic departments at the Nasher Museum. I got a behind-the-scenes look at the inner workings of a museum, including how different departments work together in order to facilitate day-to-day operations. As an economics major, I am particularly interested in how art markets function. However, working in the Curatorial and Academic departments provided a unique outlook from the context of a museum. I was able to see the entire process of curating an exhibition, from inception to installation. The experience included speaking to members in the curatorial department in order to see why they chose specific pieces and how they placed the works in the exhibition itself in order to facilitate an organic flow of visitor traffic. I had never before considered how much thought goes into every aspect of a museum.

My main project this semester was creating a checklist of the upcoming exhibition Open This End: Contemporary Art from the Collection of Blake Byrne. My responsibilities included familiarizing myself with the exhibition and obtaining accurate information about every individual work of art. This involved researching museum databases and calling galleries that represent artists featured in the exhibition. Throughout this process, I was able to gain an intimate knowledge of the organization structure of museums and their role in the overall art world. Interning at the Nasher was an incredible learning experience.

Hi Def Miró