Blog / Damian Stamer: past and now

Stamer, "Playhouse," 2013

Curiosity drew us to Durham’s Craven Allen Gallery recently for Cross-Cut, an installation of paintings by Damian Stamer paired with photographs from the collection of Jim and Jane Finch. We were instantly rewarded! The idea behind the exhibition is refreshing and the work itself is fascinating. Bravo! The exhibition is on view through July 12. Stamer also has a show at Flanders Gallery in Raleigh.

Artist’s statement: “I keep returning to the places of my past over and over again, even though I never quite know exactly what I’m looking for. There is a comfort in familiarity, a sense of guardianship of childhood haunts. But darker stories also soak this soil, and my ruins are pregnant with secrets. Time passes slowly as things fall apart. Painting is the only way I know how to describe such a place, which exists more in my mind than here on earth.”

Photo documenting results of bomb run: Kunamoto, Kyusha, Japan: 10 August 1945. Silver-gelatin print.  Photographer unidentified.
About the collectors: “The collection of Jim and Jane Finch represents passion filtered through chance over an extended period of time.  Over 30 years of attention to all things photographic has brought together examples fine art photography, anonymous vernacular images, vintage studio work, photo-documentary studies and mug-shots: From art galleries to flea-markets, from daguerreotypes to digital.  Several photographs in the collection were featured in the recent photography exhibition Light Sensitive at the Nasher Musuem at Duke University.”

IMAGES
TOP: Damian Stamer, Playhouse, 2013. Oil on panel, 48 x 72 inches. 
ABOVE: Photo documenting results of bomb run: Kunamoto, Kyusha, Japan: 10 August 1945. Silver-gelatin print.  Photographer unidentified. From the collection of Jim and Jane Finch.

#nasherbookchat

Have you met Peter Tukei at our information desk?
He will tell you anything you need to know!