Blog / Nasher Memories: Kay Hubbard, Class of 2007

Posted by Kay Hubbard

Kehinde Wiley - St John the Baptist II

Do you remember when the Nasher Museum opened on October 2, 2005? Maybe you were here with 5,000 visitors, when Durham Mayor Bill Bell declared that this museum belongs to Durham. Or maybe you got to know the Nasher Museum over the next decade. We’ve asked folks to share their favorite Nasher memories, in honor of Nasher10, the celebration of a decade and beyond.

“My time at the Nasher is marked by the first time I saw the Kehinde Wiley piece in the Blake Byrne collection. I’m not sure what I was expecting to find when I crossed the Great Hall to see the collected works of a Duke alumnus, but a life-sized oil painting of a black man in present day attire rendered with the regalia of a 17th century monarch was not it. I could feel a shift in my perceptions just from looking at the work and I knew this was art. I’m grateful to the Nasher for giving me that experience.”

Kay Hubbard (T’07)

Kimberley Hubbard

TOP TO BOTTOM: Kehinde Wiley, St. John the Baptist II, 2006. Oil on canvas, 96 x 72 inches (243.8 x 182.9 cm). Collection of Blake Byrne, T’57, promised gift to the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University. © Kehinde Wiley Studio. Photo by Peter Paul Geoffrion. Kay Hubbard (T’07) strikes a pose with friends at the Nasher Museum in 2007.

Visitor, Not Visitor

Posted By Mika Deshmukh

Get Right With God

Posted By Allie Kenny

Above the Colonel

Posted By Allie Kenny

Following is an excerpt from the recent free public talk, “Southern Food as Cultural Fount: A MORE