A FEW WORDS

with Marcus Andrew

Wendy Hower: Let’s talk about your job as manager with The Creators Project at VICE Media in New York. Not bad for a 26-year-old! How did you get your job?

Marcus Andrew: One of my first real internships was at the Nasher in 2008, in the marketing department. I’ve always been consumed by art, and business was a key interest of mine as well, so a marketing position related to the arts seemed like the perfect match. Consequently, after 3 years at my first full-time job at the creative agency Ogilvy & Mather, I wanted to take a step back in that direction. And I saw that chance in the marketing manager of the Creators Project at VICE, which was an opportunity presented to me by an Ogilvy co-worker’s husband.

The Creators Project is a partnership between VICE (a global media company and creative agency) and Intel, focused on celebrating the world’s leading creatives across various fields – art, architecture, film, fashion, music and photography — and how technology brings their works to life. It’s been a great experience, and has afforded me the opportunity to manage a media platform with various, disparate aspects that are constantly vying for my attention. Additionally, I’ve worked on projects involving major artists such as Pharrell Williams, Arcade Fire, Ai Weiwei, David Blaine, Spike Jonze and others.

Marcus Andrew

WH: Would you share a memory of your internship at the Nasher Museum in 2008? What was your favorite work of art back then?

MA: Very fond memories. I remember working on a marketing campaign for the band Les Savy Fav, which was performing at the Nasher. I had no clue who this band was and truly had to do my research, figuring out their audience, and where they could be reached online and offline. So, there I was, sending emails to any site I found relevant, informing them of the event and going out to various bars, restaurants and shops, passing out flyers and putting up posters.

By the attendance at the event, I think it worked out. It taught me the importance of knowing your audience, and developing a sound, research-backed approach to capturing their attention.

And my favorite exhibit at the time was by far, Barkley Hendricks’ Birth Of The Cool. It not only gave me a look into the evolution of ‘cool’ in the black community from the mid-sixties to now, but also inspired some of my own artwork and technique.

WH: What is the most unusual or noteworthy art-related event you attended?

MA: One of the most interesting exhibits I’ve seen lately would be Jean Paul Gaultier’s retrospective exhibit at Brooklyn Museum. Many people recognize fashion as a form of art, but seeing it actually presented in that manner, within a museum environment, adds an extra layer of wonderment. His designs were groundbreaking and controversial – the guy was really into S&M – but what really took it over the top was the use of facial projection mapping on the mannequins.  They would actually blink, make different facial expressions and talk to you. It freaked me out, but also intrigued me.

WH: What is your favorite way to keep up with Duke basketball?

MA: It’s hard out here trying to stay completely caught up. However, the easiest way would be watching ESPN, downloading the Sportscenter App (setting it to receive Duke notifications) and of course, making it out to Alumni watching events to see the games with fellow Dukies.

WH: Would you have any advice in students interested in art and/or creative careers?

MA: There’s no easy answer for this, but I can only speak from experience:

For creative industries, such as graphic design or marketing/advertising, I’d take advantage of the on-campus resources, whether that’s the career center, career fairs (advertising/marketing agencies such as Ogilvy have recruited at Duke for the last several years), being involved in the Duke Marketing Club and building your creative portfolio at outlets such as The Chronicle or DIDA (Duke Innovation Design Agency), if possible. These can all be effective in getting your foot in the door as far as a career.

Marcus Andrew

If you’re interested in the art world, build up your knowledge and understanding of the craft and market while at Duke, whether through Art and Art History classes and/or studying the artists, exhibits and gallery system present at the Nasher. Work on your portfolio and pieces, and don’t be scared to attend the exhibits or art events, major and minor, and network your ass off. It’s not an easy nut to crack, but it’s possible.

Marcus AndrewLastly, for both paths, I would say being involved in DEMAN (Duke Entertainment, Media and Arts Network) would be invaluable. It’s tailor-made for creatively inclined alumni who are anxious to network and offer guidance tho those interested in creative careers. I think there’s a DEMAN Weekend at Duke coming up in November, so try to make it. The opportunity is there.

Wendy Hower is director of engagement and marketing at the Nasher Museum. She was Marcus’ marketing internship supervisor in 2008.

marktoo

IMAGES:  TOP: In 2011, when Marcus worked at Ogilvy & Mather, he spent time with an installation by Xaviera Simmons, “How to Break Your Own Heart,” part of “The February Show.” The group exhibition, housed at the advertising agency’s world headquarters at 636 11th Ave., New York, aimed “to highlight the diverse perspectives behind the concept of Black History Month,” according to the curator’s statement. MIDDLE: Photos of Marcus Andrew around New York. ABOVE: When he was a Duke undergraduate, Marcus was featured on the cover of the Nasher Museum’s 2008 annual report.

Previous Article: Words & Pictures  |  Next Article: Students at the Nasher Museum