Blog / Alexander Calder

By Marcus Andrew, summer marketing intern

Created with flickrSLiDR.

Alexander Calder. The name may not be too well-known outside of art circles, but if you remember those spinning objects above your crib or you have seen colorful objects connected by wires moving kinetically from ceilings, you surely know of this man’s work. Calder was a celebrated American sculptor and artist who was also the inventor of the mobile, which was his favorite artistic medium.

Chicagoans, like myself, can go to Federal Plaza in downtown Chicago to view his colossal Flamingo “stabile” structure. It is an iconic fixture with 50-foot-high beams and “Calder red” paint. Here’s a picture for those who don’t frequent Chi-town. Also, a collection of about 100 of his hammered, shaped and chiseled jewelry pieces are on display this month at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of seeing one of his famous “stabiles” (a term used to describe his stationary sculptures) constructed right in front of me in the Nasher Museum’s great hall. Large pieces of sculpted black steel were wheeled in before a pulley system was used to put them in their respective positions. And as you can see from my photo below, the result is a masterpiece!