Blog / Becoming, transporting

By Amy

The song Part of Your World (yes, from The Little Mermaid) has been playing in my mind for the past six months. My daughter has discovered her love of mermaids.

Sitting in my office last week, I realized I needed a break from the song. Trying to pause the song rolling around in my head, I decided it was time to take a walk through “Becoming: Photographs from the Wedge Collection.” This proved to be a very refreshing and quiet way to spend a recent lunch break.

As I peered at the photographs, I realized the power of this exhibition. These photographs, and ultimately Kenneth Montague’s entire collection, transported me to a world unlike mine. More importantly, this world welcomed me and I felt these photographs were my new friends. The more I walked around, the more I felt part of this world.

If you haven’t had a chance to see the exhibition, take the time to visit. Becoming will be on view through January 8, 2012.

UPCOMING  EVENTS FOR BECOMING

This Thursday, October 27, 7 PM
ARTIST TALK: JOHN AKOMFRAH
English filmmaker and artist John Akomfrah, who has directed 14 films since 1986, will talk about his work. Co-sponsored by Duke’s Center for Documentary Studies, Franklin Humanities Institute and Master of Fine Arts in Experimental & Documentary Arts. Free and open to all.

November 10, 7 PM
ART FOR ALL
Celebrate Becoming and NCCU’s Let Your Motto Be Resistance with student-organized open house events at both university art museums. Free and open to all. Join us at 9 PM for Jamel Shabazz Street Photographer, A Pow Wow production. (Charlie Ahearn, 2011, 74 minutes.)

December 1, 5:30 PM
GALLERY TALK
Join Richard J. Powell, Duke’s John Spencer Bassett Professor of Art and Art History for a talk about Becoming. Cash Bar, 5:30 PM. Gallery talk, 6 PM.

IMAGE: Camilo Josè Vergara, Girls, Barbies, Harlem, 1970. C-print. Dr. Kenneth Montague/ The Wedge Collection.

#nasherbookchat

Have you met Peter Tukei at our information desk?
He will tell you anything you need to know!