Blog / Summer Days, Nasher Nights

By Kate Esbenshade

Are you, like me, new to the Durham area? I am a Dallas transplant and in this unfamiliar territory I found myself woefully unprepared for the humidity. I have learned the beauty of indoor activities and I am determined to find my appropriately cool summer adventure.

I have come to Durham to spend the summer at the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University. During the day I learn about development prospecting and the inner-workings of museum planning. At night, I’ve discovered the weekly series Summer Days, Nasher Nights.

My Thursday evenings are spent in the company of new friends. Whether enjoying a glass of wine and Art Scrabble, taking in Dinner and a Movie or exploring new cuisines from guest chefs, which we lovingly refer to as Gourmet Innovators, I am always meeting new people and having wonderful experiences. Live and Local offers an up-tempo evening with live bands on the patio and local food. Gourmet Innovators is a nice break from the normal cooking and cleaning routine at home. The guest chef series features some of the area’s best chefs preparing truly inspired meals.

With a variety of activities to choose from, my Thursday nights never get old. Branch out and explore your artistic inclination with us at Summer Days, Nasher Nights!

Café reservations can be made online or by calling 919-684-6032. Free admission to all the exhibits and activities. For additional information, visit http://nasher.duke.edu.

Weekly schedule:

July

7/5: First Thursday: No gallery talk.  Please join us for Art Scrabble in the museum café.
7/12: Live and Local: Hearts of Knotty Pine
7/19: Dinner and a Movie: Eat Drink Man Woman (1994, directed by Ang Lee, 124 minutes)
7/26: Gourmet Innovators: Robert Casper, City Kitchen

August

8/2: First Thursday: Art Scrabble in the museum café.
8/9: Live and Local: Ten Oh Five Urban
8/16: Dinner and a Movie: The Last Supper (1995, directed by Stacy Title, 92 minutes)
8/23: Gourmet Innovators: Guest chef Tim Lyons, blu seafood and bar
8/30: Art Scrabble end of summer tournament