The 13th edition of Art Basel Miami Beach featured 267 galleries from 31 countries and attracted 73,000 visitors over five days, ending Sunday. The Nasher Museum contingent was one of 16 museum and institution groups from around the world. Between the main convention center and independent fairs happening all over the city, there aren’t ever enough hours in the day to cover it all. That’s why Trevor Schoonmaker, Patsy R. and Raymond D. Nasher Curator of Contemporary Art at the Nasher Museum, gives us his favorite artworks and events from Art Basel Miami 2014. Trevor walked through his 10th year of fair.
Pictured above, and listed below, is Trevor’s Top Ten list of the best of Art Basel Miami Beach 2014:
- Hank Willis Thomas, Raise Up, 2014. Bronze. Goodman Gallery, New York.
- Terry Adkins, Behearer, 2004. Steel and brass. Salon 94, New York.
- Ebony Patterson, Installation of caskets based on Invisible Presence: Bling Memories, performance, April 27, 2014, Kingston, Jamaica. Monique Meloche Gallery, Chicago.
- Chris Ofili, Dead Monkey: Sex, Money and Drugs, 2000. Acrylic, oil, polyester resin, pencil, glitter, map pins and elephant dung on linen. David Zwirner Gallery, New York.
- Kara Walker, Untitled, 2014. Cut paper on paper. 3 parts. Sikkema Jenkins, New York.
- Paul Anthony Smith, Choppy, 2014. Picotage. ZeiherSmith Gallery, New York.
- Barthélémy Toguo, The New World Climax, 2000-14. Installation with wooden stamps, tables, ink prints on paper. Stevenson Gallery, Cape Town.
- Michael Rakowitz, The Breakup, 2012. Collage on found album sleeve. Rhona Hoffman Gallery, Chicago.
- Njideka Akunyili Crosby, Untitled, 2014. Victoria Miro Gallery, London.
- Jack Shainman Party on Friday night w/ DJ Kemit