Blog / Nasher Memories: Lori Arthur, Class of 1979

Posted by Lori Arthur

Hewitt

Do you remember when the Nasher Museum opened on October 2, 2005? Maybe you were here with 5,000 visitors, when Durham Mayor Bill Bell declared that this museum belongs to Durham. Or maybe you got to know the Nasher Museum over the next decade. We’ve asked folks to share their favorite Nasher memories, in honor of Nasher10, the celebration of a decade and beyond.

“My memories of the Nasher Museum first include both of my parents’ (Marilyn Mayberry Arthur, T’56, and Bill Arthur, T’55) enthusiastic involvement with the museum from the very beginning: the early planning days right up until the present. Mom and Dad loved providing the funds for the Nasher Museum Store, too, which is a “must visit” stop whenever I am on Duke’s campus. Mom continued to pour her heart and soul into the museum as years progressed, and she truly enjoyed her involvement (as a member of the Friends Board and also the national Board of Advisors) so much. I loved seeing her so excited about the museum and especially how it stimulated her both creatively and intellectually. I loved hearing about all the new friendships she made there, too. Mom invited me to several of the exhibition openings including El Greco to Velázquez, The Record: Contemporary Art & Vinyl, the art and basketball installation at the 2010 annual benefit gala and Doris Duke’s Shangri La: Architecture, Landscape and Islamic Art. I will always treasure the time when mom and I were on the Nasher Travel: Hawaii trip and were touring the Honolulu Academy of Arts when I received a text from a dear friend and Duke graduate, Tim Warmath, who was at the Nasher Museum and enjoying an exhibition (which mom supported) which featured well-known North Carolina potter Mark Hewitt. Several of the pottery pieces were on the museum’s roof as well as on the grounds, and he said, “Marilyn Arthur rocks!!” I will never forget that happy moment (Mom loved it!) and then our amazing few hours afterward, touring Doris Duke’s magnificent Shangri La house. Such a special memory… Aloha!”

Lori Arthur, T’79

Marilyn M. Arthur

ABOVE: Mark Hewitt’s monumental pots glow at night on the front lawn of the Nasher Museum, in a 2011 installation. Photo by Dr. J Caldwell. Portrait of Marilyn Arthur by Duke Photography.

Visitor, Not Visitor

Posted By Mika Deshmukh

Get Right With God

Posted By Allie Kenny

Above the Colonel

Posted By Allie Kenny

Following is an excerpt from the recent free public talk, “Southern Food as Cultural Fount: A MORE